Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Phonecall?

I finally take the time out of my day to write to read, and what do I get? My phone vibrating with the words "DON'T ANSWER. NO REALLY." flashing up on the screen. I felt a rush of hot horror flash through my body starting somewhere in my skull and landing in my toes, taking all my strength with it into the bottoms of my shoes. I was convinced for a second I peed myself. Luckily, the phone just kept flashing until the call went to voicemail and no emergency bathroom breaks were needed. But hold on, let's be serious: the hell does he want? Really? Calling at two in the afternoon? What could possibly have happened at two in the afternoon that he would feel the need to call me? If it was at night that would be one thing. Then at least he could have been drunk and needed to tell me sorry he called, he can't remember why he called in the first place, and was I doing okay? At least then he would have had to call the following day and apologize for the annoyance. But unless he took up a hardcore drinking problem, it's still 2PM and it is still too early to get saucy off a single beer like he normally sips. Maybe someone kicked the bucket; did someone important die? I checked BBC, CNN and Google, but no one of any importance. Tom Waits and Mick Jagger are still alive and kicking. Did he forget a sweatshirt at my house? Did the new girl make him cry? Did I leave more CDs than I had thought in his truck's glovebox? I'm pretty sure I cleared them all out but there are still quite a few empty pockets in my CD case. Maybe he missed being able to tell me how work was or how his Dad never stopped bothering him about getting a real job and medical insurance. He left a voicemail; I had to go through 5 unchecked messages from my mother until I got to the one he left and: it was the sound of him hanging up.

No comments:

Post a Comment